Proficiency with the Linux operating system is essential for any computer science student.
Therefore CASSA will be running weekly workshops on the Joondalup campus every friday 11:30am to 12:30pm in room 18.204. Bookings aren’t necissary just arrive at the workshop and we’ll get you started.
Two teams from the Edith Cowan University School of Computer and Security Science entered the Cyber Challenge Australia (CySCA) ethical hacking competition this year. Our teams placed 9th and 10th nationally, and one of our teams won prizes for coming first in completion of the forensics category.
This could not have been possible without the help of a few awesome organisations:
The Edith Cowan University Security Research Institute allowed us to use their state-of-the-art Cyber Security Laboratories throughout training and for the final competition, and also provided us with training given by their staff.
The School of Computer and Security Science provided us with snacks and drinks throughout the final competition and also provided us with training given by their staff.
Our friends at Pickpals shouted us dinner for the competition evening!
The ECU Student Guild and CASSA
These folks helped pay for food to keep us sustained in the weeks leading up to the competition.
We deeply thank you for all your support!!
Are you an organisation who wishes to sponsor our team for 2016? Are you an ECU student interested in participating in CySCA 2016? Send us an email!
Here’s a bunch of PDFs of Agendas and Minutes of all of CASSA’s general meeting, from the 22nd of May 2015 to the 4th of September 2015.
I’m terribly sorry that I allowed the backlog to get this large in the first place. Hopefully now you should have access to PDFs of all of CASSA’s agendas and minutes from the start of this year to early September, through this and my previous post.
Hey everyone Will here,
Thanks to everyone who came to the Linux install party, it was great fun. To help you on your Linux journey here are some helpful links.
For any help join #linux on our IRC or slack
Ubuntu Forms - offical source of Linux help
Linux Action Show - a great podcast for Linux news and updates
Intro to Linux from the Linux foundation - the official linux foundation linux course for free
We present to you all MegaLAN 2015.1!
From the 4th of July straight through the night to the 5th, CASSA hosts the MegaLAN, a solid weekend of gaming and socialising for all to enjoy.
10:00 AM on the 4th of July until 12:00 PM on the 5th of July
Edith Cowan University – Mount Lawley Campus Building 14 rooms 114 – 116
$10 for CASSA and ECU Student Guild members
$15 for non-members
What Will Be There?
– People to play with and against
– People to socialise with
– Tournaments with prizes
– Consoles for local multiplayer
– Card games for old fashioned analog fun
– Movies for your viewing pleasure
– A range of cheap snacks and drinks for energy
What Tournaments Will be There?
– 2 PM The Unreal Tournament BIG OL’ DEATH MATCH: first to 100 kills
– 5 PM The Project M (Smash Bros.) Tree Tourney
– 8 PM The Bishi Bashi WTF??
– 10 PM the Call of Duty Free for All – Who turn out to be our Euphoria God? –
All of these tournaments have prizes for first, second, third and last place.
What Should You Bring?
– Your lovely self
– Monitor (NO CRTs please)
– Cables (power, USB and Ethernet)
– Powerboards (no surge protected boards)
– Any gaming accessories you wish to bring
– Money (for entry ticket and snacks and drinks)
– Sleeping gear if desired
26 hours not enough? Join us on Friday the 3rd to help us set up and pregame!
For more details on MegaLAN 2015.1, please visit our MegaLAN page on our website: www.cassa.org.au/megalan for updates on CASSA and MegaLAN.
These are the minutes for the 8/5/2015 general meeting. Seriously, it was such a party. If you prefer to read a PDF version of these miuntes, please click here.
Topics of Discussion:
Application for Guild grant
– It was decided that CASSA will fund the MegaLAN from its own funds, and will then be reimbursed by the Guild after the event. This way we will not have trouble keeping guild funds separate.
– Will submit room booking form next week
– Talk to Greg to aid form submission
– need to book power
– EoS will be held the Tuesday after the last Friday after exams, on the 23rd of June
– Previously all surplus funds gained by the end of semester were spent nearly completely on the EoS party.
– We have decided to aim to host a cheaper EoS party to reduce the cost on CASSA’s part.
– Considering buying drinks separately, then booking separate venue
– Could book a room at ECU as a venue. Do not need license to sell as we will not sell the drinks, still need to card as it is the law.
– Could have $10 cover for the EoS
Big Day In Summary
– We had three volunteers from CASSA to help the Big Day In staff, including Ash and Evan who ran the CASSA stall.
– All volunteers found the call for volunteers through CASSA’s mass emails.
– Stall was successful, with drone, drone footage, 3Dprinter and active members.
– Several promising students attended and expressed interest in CASSA
– Need drinks, chocolate, noodles and forks.
– Run will be completed next Tuesday.
She left me roses by the stairs.
Surprises let me know she cares.
This is the agenda for the 8/5/2015 general meeting. You should have come, it was pretty great. If you prefer to read a PDF version of this agenda, please click here.
Topics of Discussion:
Application for Guild grant
– finalising application and handing papers to social council attendees for submission to the Guild
Big Day In Summary
Just a reminder to everyone that if they have any questions for me they can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or meet me at ML 13.123 or JO 8.302 (most) Wednesdays 1-3pm and 5-8pm respectively. Sometimes I can’t make it to those places at those times so be sure to ask ahead if it is important.
I will usually respond to my emails quickly (max 2 days later). If for some reason I don’t, assume something terrible has happened and send me flowers.
These are the minutes for the 24/4/2015 general meeting, taking place just after the first semester break. If you prefer to read a PDF version of these minutes, click please here.
Topics of Discussion:
Head of School meeting summary
– Quality over quantity – student feedback
– Units out of date, Andrew is on top
– report out of date units to ash, he’ll tell Andrew
– Letterhead to Kmart for cheap stuff.
– Coderdojo problem, no automatic responses from CD for applicants (outside of recruiting period), have been asked to create automatic response.
– Andrew wants projects to happen, can book rooms for them.
– Wifi issues were discussed, Andrew cannot directly help with this matter.
– Unblocking ports have been a problem. We can create a petition for this matter.
Vice Chancellor meeting summary
– Letter has been presented to the Vice Chancellor
– Meeting with HOS and Information Technology Services soon
Executive Wiki update
- Will need to redo executive wiki, update with pieces from current members and overdue pieces from previous members
- Log onto redmine to upload role explanations
– Gamer jam refund has been received
– We now have two separate floats, one in the office and one with Greg
– Need PayPal reader & ECU account, so we can authenticate phone to ECU network, a form to request guest accounts is currently on the staff portal
– May convert to Pepsi or cheaper cans from Kmart
– CASSA is considering using guild capital for food runs
– Possible new clubroom on Joondalup 18.120
– Will worry about when move is closer
Big Day In
– 3 volunteers aready, more volunteers are encouraged
-Possible tasks include microphone running for Q&A, handing out merchandise
Joondalup open day
– CASSA is running a stall, promoting the association and selling drinks
– Stall form needs to be filled in before the stall is finalised
– A laptop has been given to CASSA as a prize for a competition for first year attendees
– Project M has been suggested as the game for this tournament. This decision has not been finalised.
Mount Lawley movie night
– CSO cannot book the Games Lab for this event, waiting for Andrew.
Events MEGALAN status update
– Need to book rooms 14.114, 14.115, 14.116 (MegaLAN rooms) and 14.113 (Dance Hall) for the 26th to 29th of June.
– MegaLAN will be held on the 27th and 28th of June.
– MegaLAN setup will occur on the 26th, and attendees are welcome to hang around
– MegaLAN rooms will be used for gaming and viewing. Dance hall for food and rest.
– Extra tables need to be booked for the same date for use in the dance hall.
– Please present all project ideas to Ash.
– If project is accepted, rooms will be booked for project work. Rooms will be available in five hour blocks
– Online projects have been suggested, with meeting days instead of physically coming in to work on projects.
Possible ideas for projects include:
– Ash’s Evolution game
– layer website
– CASSA hosted Tutoring portal has been previously discussed, and is ideal. Production of this portal is on hold.
– A mass email will be sent out seeking out
– Like projects, rooms will be booked for certain periods for participants to meet.
– Hackerrank is a site hosting programming challenges for people to complete. Participation in Hackerrank ranks the participant against others in a rank.
– Employers are purported to look at this site.
– CASSA is promoting this site via email and the Facebook page.